Like it or not STRAVA is a part of our cycling culture. I am a big fan. I mainly use it to create routes and give others access to the routes we ride. There are so many other functions I have not even explored yet. But the KOM/QOM (King/Queen of the Mountain) feature is brilliant and probably the most popular. Seeing that crown after you download is always a bit of a boost and knowing that one of your knucklehead buddies is receiving the “Uh Oh” email is icing on the cake. Awhile back when I had some “new bike” inspiration I went on a KOM hunt and bagged the Cleveland Hill segment. This set off a chain reaction of
hate funny messages. A couple days later I was the recipient of the the “Uh Oh” email. Apparently I was on private property and poaching is not allowed. All this was in good humor and provided some cycling community entertainment. Another reason I am a fan of STRAVA. If your not using STRAVA you should check it out. It is a free app for your smart phone. It’s been awhile since I have gone on a hunt perhaps it’s time to let the hounds loose.
Tips for your next KOM/QOM hunt:
- Make sure STRAVA or GPS device is on…don’t waste your effort.
- Wind. Always consider wind direction. If you have a 15 mph tailwind choose a route that has downwind segments.
- Be ruthless. On group rides stay in the wheels for as long as your riding mates will allow, then at the last possible moment let the guns blaze. Use this one sparingly. Unless your cool with being “that guy.”
- Go sniping. For climbing segments, drop your water bottles & saddle bag off at the base of the climb.
- Knowledge. Know where the segment begins & ends. I once let up on the pedals about 20 yards shy of a finish missing the KOM by just a few seconds.
- Speed. Hit the start of a segment with speed (better for shorter/climbing segments).
- Create your own segment and don’t tell anyone about it. My teammate made a segment on my street and never told me. Sneaky.
- Get in shape. Lose the weight.
Get a bike with a hidden motor.
- Download immediately. Be the first in your group to download. You will own the KOM…at least for a few minutes.
- Eternal KOM. Bag the KOM just before they change the trail system. No one will ever be able to take it from you.
- Lastly, do not let anyone know that you are applying any of these tips at any time. NEVER speak of this again…this message will self destruct in 3…2…
Any other tips or features I should know about?
i got my first QOM this weekend. I was shocked! I was thrilled! I had just been bitten by a dog… Don’t know where this fits in your tip list
Strava Sniping tip. If you are with a fast group and you know the start/stop of the segment, hang back so there is a gap between you and the group at the start. Work your way back to the group and if possible to the front by the end of the segment. You will get the fastest time out of the group.
Thanks Robbie. I will give it go!